Eat Without Restrictions
Patients who wear metal braces have to eat carefully and stay away from certain foods. Otherwise, they risk getting crumbs stuck in the metal wires or damaging their brackets.
Thanks to Invisalign, you can straighten your smile with no restrictions on what you eat. Simply remove your aligners before meals and enjoy all the foods you love without impacting your treatment.
Sensible Diet Tips
Though you can enjoy all your favorite foods and beverages with Invisalign, it’s still important to keep a few things in mind. Some of these include:
- Never eat anything with your aligners in — This can result in permanent damage.
- Only drink water with your aligners in — Other beverages, such as coffee, tea, wine, and soda, can warp or stain your aligners.
- Brush and floss before reapplying your aligners — After you finish a meal, make sure to brush your teeth and floss before placing your aligners back in your mouth. This will protect you from stains and potential infection.
- Wear your aligners for 20-22 hours per day — In order to achieve successful results, don’t remove your aligners for more than four hours per day. This leaves you with less time for snacks, so it’s a good idea to plan for regular, filling meals and adjust your schedule accordingly.
Foods and Habits to Consider Avoiding
As long as you remove your aligners before meals, you can eat anything you want with Invisalign. However, there are a few foods and habits that you may want to avoid, as they can negatively impact your new smile.
Some of these include:
- Gum — Chewing gum is bad for your oral health in general. It leaves sticky residue on your teeth and the repeated chewing can alter your bite.
- Teeth Stainers — Foods and beverages such as coffee, red wine, soda, beets, and pomegranates can stain your teeth and damage your smile.
- Hard or Chewy Foods — Snacks such as corn nuts, taffy, and caramel put a lot of strain on your teeth and can result in permanent damage if you aren’t careful.
- Tobacco — Smoking or chewing tobacco can rot your teeth, in addition to increasing your risk for cancer, heart attacks, and many other serious health issues.
Ask Dr. Strait for Invisalign Dieting Tips
If you have any more questions about how to plan your meals with Invisalign, don’t hesitate to ask Dr. Strait. With over 20 years of experience, you can count on him to provide trustworthy advice that will help produce spectacular results.
Call our practice in Wilton at 203-423-0430 and schedule your free consultation today.